Keep Praying, Keep Heart, Keep Faith
December 16, 2017 | abiding in God, contemplative prayer, courage, faith, God's love, God's presence, reflection, spirituality
What does it mean, to "pray always and not lose heart?" So many connections surface, but the focus that recently jumped out was the connection between the praying, and not losing heart. I'm reminded of what is stated in the introduction to the section on Prayer in the Catechism: "According to Scripture, it is the heart that prays...The heart is the dwelling place where I
December 16, 2017 | contemplative prayer, eternity, poetry, rapture, reflection, solar eclipse, spirituality, time
We entered an eclipse but instead of creeping nightfall the afternoon shimmered with embers of burning silver light.Thousands – dare I say millions – pledged a view of the spectacle. Yeton my patch of grassy earth, all is calm, quiet, and bright.Neither bird nor bee, dog nor tree stir.And I stand – stunningly alone. For this midday Rapture isn’t darkness, but
Our Lady of Mount Carmel and Elijah
July 28, 2017 | Carmelite spirituality, Elijah, faith, God, God's love, Jesus, Mary, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, prayer, Scriptures
"Planted in the house of the Lord, They will flourish in the courts of our God." (Ps 92:13)Celebrating both the Solemnities of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and of Elijah - within four days' time - springs forth an image of what they share on the most hidden to manifest levels.Reading the above verse from Psalm 92, on the day before Our Lady of Mount Carmel, I was struck by the invisible but essential aspect
Other Blogs by Secular Discalced Carmelites:
- Bethany Hang Out – a blog by Shawn Chapman, OCDS. Shawn is a member of the Austin community of Secular Discalced Carmelites. She also writes regularly for ATX Catholic online.
- Elizabeth Explores Writing – a blog by Elizabeth Ogilvie, OCDS. Elizabeth is a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.
- Gray Rising – a blog by Tim Bete, OCDS. Tim is a member of the community of the Secular Discalced Carmelites in Dayton, OH.
- Hearth Cake and a Jug of Water – Mary Bellman, a member of the Dallas OCDS community, sends out a daily Carmelite quotation by e-mail. Send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added on her mailing list and receive these Carmelite quotations.
- Illumina, Domine – a blog by Pat Enk, a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.