- Blog Central
- About Us
- Our Saints
- Carmelite Calendar
- Safe Environment
January 25, 2018
The narthex, the nave, the steeple,the transept, the columns, the corbel,the buttress, the portal, the plaster,the gold, the marble, the silver.The Stations of the Crosscarved in Paris and shippedin the hold of a schooneron its way to Boston.The bond stone, the bed joints, the mortar,the granite, the weep holes, the stretcher.The Irish mason who atehis lunch sitting on scaffolding,legs dangling in
Mustard Seed Faith – Part 1
December 9, 2016
The gospel passages that include the phrase, "faith the size of a mustard seed" have not particularly kept my attention over the decades of my life. If anything, I've noticed in myself a sort of sense of passing over it, or wondering, why faith should be such a challenge at times, especially since only (at first glance) such a seemingly minuscule
A Hummingbird Visits
August 17, 2016
Just beyond the clear clean glassarrives a blur of iridescent colours.Related and opposing,One to another. Orange,green, red, yellow, black.Standing there, all herattention taken up with a hovering bird. Humming, amid the fireworks ofcascading Summer blooms.In a hushed trancethe swift, soft beating of tiny wings vibrate through the window. Leaving hertransfixed –
January 25, 2016
With each insight You grantYour mystery grows largeruntil I know much more and yet much less about You.Love’s enigmaerases the questionsmy mind once asked.Being with You is enough;in silence is Your love.Written by Tim BeteTim Bete is a Secular Discalced Carmelite from Dayton, OH
April 25, 2015
Abide, ABIDE–The tide of graceFlows fully in the spaceFreshly opened by the crushingof your heart.A part of you has died.Now, springs from His sideThe new life that shines more widelythan the death endured.Moored in Jesus, anchoredSo deeply, abide, that the waves crash, butDo not crush the hidden seed ofHis responding to your seeking.It was always first His voice that you had heard,But only now
Other Blogs by Secular Discalced Carmelites:
- Bethany Hang Out – a blog by Shawn Chapman, OCDS. Shawn is a member of the Austin community of Secular Discalced Carmelites. She also writes regularly for ATX Catholic online.
- Elizabeth Explores Writing – a blog by Elizabeth Ogilvie, OCDS. Elizabeth is a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.
- Gray Rising – a blog by Tim Bete, OCDS. Tim is a member of the community of the Secular Discalced Carmelites in Dayton, OH.
- Hearth Cake and a Jug of Water – Mary Bellman, a member of the Dallas OCDS community, sends out a daily Carmelite quotation by e-mail. Send her an email at email@example.com if you would like to be added on her mailing list and receive these Carmelite quotations.
- Illumina, Domine – a blog by Pat Enk, a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.