- Blog Central
- About Us
- Our Saints
- Carmelite Calendar
- Safe Environment
May 18, 2018
Ah. Such joy! Strewn across the sanctuary!White lilies, blaring their trumpets in a brilliant white chorus; continuing for days and then into weeks.Now their nodding drooping heads arecovered with quantities of bright yellowpollen. And having spent their beautyAnd mingled their fragrance with thesacred incense, they were sent forth.Dismissed, to line the walkway up to the church – an honour
January 25, 2018
The narthex, the nave, the steeple,the transept, the columns, the corbel,the buttress, the portal, the plaster,the gold, the marble, the silver.The Stations of the Crosscarved in Paris and shippedin the hold of a schooneron its way to Boston.The bond stone, the bed joints, the mortar,the granite, the weep holes, the stretcher.The Irish mason who atehis lunch sitting on scaffolding,legs dangling in
April 28, 2016
Dimly-lit church,empty except for thestrong lingering scentof spicy-sweet smoke,from a funeralearlier in the day.Gray rising cloudsno longer visible,but their essenceleft behindalong with memoriesof a soulI did not know.Lives sputterand ignite,like aromatic crystalsheaped ontored-hot coals,souls billowingand ascendingtoward Heaven.Written by Time Bete, OCDSTim Bete is a Secular Discalced Carmelite
Courage of Conviction
October 15, 2015
One of my favorite things about our holy mother, Teresa of Jesus, is her willingness to say the hard things,without fear of whatever her day’s “media coverage” will be reporting and mis-representing. Our holy father Pope Francis shares that courage of conviction. When he dares to offer consolation to his priests and bishops, in the face of the ongoing scandals of sexual abuse of children
Other Blogs by Secular Discalced Carmelites:
- Bethany Hang Out – a blog by Shawn Chapman, OCDS. Shawn is a member of the Austin community of Secular Discalced Carmelites. She also writes regularly for ATX Catholic online.
- Elizabeth Explores Writing - a blog by Elizabeth Ogilvie, OCDS. Elizabeth is a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.
- Gray Rising – a blog by Tim Bete, OCDS. Tim is a member of the community of the Secular Discalced Carmelites in Dayton, OH.
- Hearth Cake and a Jug of Water – Mary Bellman, a member of the Dallas OCDS community, sends out a daily Carmelite quotation by e-mail. Send her an email at email@example.com if you would like to be added on her mailing list and receive these Carmelite quotations.
- Illumina, Domine – a blog by Pat Enk, a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.