January 25, 2018 | art, church, Communion, craft, God, life, mystery, prayer, remembrance, sacred, sacrifice, service
The narthex, the nave, the steeple,the transept, the columns, the corbel,the buttress, the portal, the plaster,the gold, the marble, the silver.The Stations of the Crosscarved in Paris and shippedin the hold of a schooneron its way to Boston.The bond stone, the bed joints, the mortar,the granite, the weep holes, the stretcher.The Irish mason who atehis lunch sitting on scaffolding,legs dangling in
The "Place" to Be
This morning brought a return to a sense of focus, in trying to rebound after days on the road. As I started my walk at the Rosary Garden, what riveted my eyes was the Sacred Heart statue at its entrance. What especially caught my attention was the figure of Jesus pointing to his Heart. It's such
February 26, 2016 | Communion, contemplative, Eucharist, lunch break, meditation, monastic, poetry, prayerful, reflection
At the same lunch tablewhere she has eaten for 30 years,she unpacks a ham sandwichand thermos of coffee.A break from the linewhere she inspects small round disks of white and tan,bread destined to become God.Thankful for work, so contemplative,hours of placid meditation on tiny canvases, soon to be transformedinto the Lord Himself.The plant, her convent;production line, her cell;denim work shirt, her
Be Not Afraid!
Subscribe to Blog Central.
The air, the airwaves, the papers are filled withfearful voices proclaiming doom in one form or another.It seems to me a squandering of the soul to worry about,to make anxious provisions for, some possible dangerwhich could happen in the future, but which is not now a reality. Listening to doomsayers, giving ear to loud voices proclaiming(but not apparently having prophetic authority to proclaim) doom,and
If God is my Alland he is with me ...why am I lonely?Why do I feel alone?Father.Son.Holy Ghost.Even those threeneed one anotherto be God!That is my answerto why I needto seek the companyof others in the race.But I must seekthat company,that holy communion,in him ...He must lead the way.It is in imitationof his perfect examplethat I seek others with whom to be myself. Each of us gives to the
Other Blogs by Secular Discalced Carmelites:
- Bethany Hang Out – a blog by Shawn Chapman, OCDS. Shawn is a member of the Austin community of Secular Discalced Carmelites. She also writes regularly for ATX Catholic online.
- Elizabeth Explores Writing – a blog by Elizabeth Ogilvie, OCDS. Elizabeth is a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.
- Gray Rising – a blog by Tim Bete, OCDS. Tim is a member of the community of the Secular Discalced Carmelites in Dayton, OH.
- Hearth Cake and a Jug of Water – Mary Bellman, a member of the Dallas OCDS community, sends out a daily Carmelite quotation by e-mail. Send her an email at email@example.com if you would like to be added on her mailing list and receive these Carmelite quotations.
- Illumina, Domine – a blog by Pat Enk, a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.